Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Language input (and disable IPv6) for my Kubuntu 11.04 desktop

Setting up a Kubuntu (or any other distro/flavour) is a one time pain - and things have gotten easier. But still work has to be done... It's not difficult, but it's troublesome for me to find the information time and again - so might as well blog it. I'm covering language input, disable IPv6 here. I'm on Kubuntu 11.04 btw.


Added Japanese/Chinese input

In the KDE menu, run System Languages. Select the languages (in my case, Chinese and Japanese) you want, and check the input methods and extra fonts. It doesn't end there - this GUI method is still not perfect yet. I needed to append this to my ~/.bashrc
export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
You might wanna restart your X session (log out, log in) and then see if there's a language input icon. If there's isn't, just run ibus-daemon. There's a need to add the languages to the input as there isn't any set by default: go to Preferences -> Input Method -> Select an input method (say, Japanese -> Anthy) -> Add. This will provide the language option when pressing Ctrl-space. やったー!


Disabling IPv6

The reason for me to disable IPv6 is that the kernel does sometimes take time to look up IPv6. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but well, no harm done if it isn't. I'm running on SSD and I want things to be fast. Just append to /etc/sysctl.conf
#disable ipv6
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1
Ok, done.


I've also noticed the my DVD drive delayed my boot up time by a lot (though it seems to be still working as per normal). Saw the Emask error when i run dmesg (happened to my other hard drives before, which eventually they died. zzz). I replaced the DVD drive with a new one and lengthy bootup problem was solved. Here's the error message for your reference.
[ 34.000061] ata7.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6 frozen
[ 34.000065] ata7.00: failed command: IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE
[ 34.000070] ata7.00: cmd a1/00:01:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/00 tag 0 pio 512 in
[ 34.000071] res 40/00:00:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/00 Emask 0x4 (timeout)
[ 34.000073] ata7.00: status: { DRDY }
[ 34.000076] ata7: hard resetting link
[ 34.550049] ata7: softreset failed (device not ready)
[ 34.550053] ata7: applying SB600 PMP SRST workaround and retrying
[ 34.750059] ata7: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[ 34.752058] ata7.00: configured for UDMA/100
[ 34.752784] ata7: EH complete

No comments:

Post a Comment